Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts with Spicy Honey Mustard Dip
Why would you want to make Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts? Well, there are few things that can make a simple water chestnut seem like anything more than a bland, round nut. When you wrap it in bacon and dip it in spicy mustard, suddenly the water chestnut is all anyone can talk about! The salty bacon complements the natural sweetness of the crunchy vegetable while the tangy sauce brings out its tender texture. This recipe will be your new favorite appetizer for game days or parties with friends! The post goes on to discuss how to make this dish.
Perfect Appetizer – Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts with Spicy Honey Mustard Dip!
I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “What is she talking about? Who even eats water chestnuts?” Well, I’ll tell you who: people who like to eat delicious things. That’s right, these bacon-wrapped water chestnuts are crispy and sweet with a little bit of spice from the mustard dip. They make for a perfect appetizer or snack at any gathering! As we head into summer picnics and holidays involving barbecues and pot lucks… this will be a recipe to include in your arsenal.
- 8 strips center-cut bacon
- 1/3 c. gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 T. honey, preferably local
- 2 8-oz. can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- ¾ c. Greek yogurt
- 2½ T. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. hot sauce
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Cut bacon strips in half lengthwise, then cut each thin strip into 3 equal sections for a total of 48 pieces. Set aside.
2. Mix soy sauce and honey in a medium mixing bowl. Add water chestnuts and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes, turning water chestnuts 2-3 times during that time.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F and place a metal rack inside a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
4. Drain water chestnuts, but reserve the marinade. Wrap each water chestnut with a piece of bacon, then repeat with a second strip on the opposite side. Secure both pieces of bacon with a toothpick and place on baking rack.
5. Repeat with remaining water chestnuts. Each appetizer with reserved marinade on all sides. Place prepared baking sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and brush with more marinade before returning to oven for another 10-15 minutes.
6. While the water chestnuts are roasting, combine Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, and parsley in a small bowl. Season salt and black pepper, to taste. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
7. When finished, remove the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from the oven and serve immediately with the spicy mustard sauce for dipping. Enjoy!